Saturday, April 7, 2007

Seven Words from The Cross

The seven things Jesus said from the cross

1. "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."
A prayer for all people at all times, to a forgiving Father - These are the first words out of Jesus while He's dying on the cross - a prayer for all people

2. "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43)
Jesus said this to one of the other prisoners hanging on the cross next to Him. That prisoner said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." All anyone has to do is ask; as soon as you ask, Jesus says you can be with Him. We don't need to merit grace.

3. To his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." (John 19:26)
Jesus proclaimed a provision for a grieving mother. From that time on, John took Mary into his home.

Notice: (1) thru (3) are all out of love for others, not Himself

4. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
The worst suffering - worse than the physical torment He was enduring - was having God the Father's back turned to Him for the first time, as Jesus faced death.

5. "I am thirsty." (also prophesied in Psalm 22)
Jesus displayed His humanity. He thirsts like the rest of us.

6. "It is finished."
Not a cry of defeat, but instead a cry of victory as Jesus fulfilled prophecy as the Son of God.

7. "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." (Luke 23:46)
Jesus faced death with prayer and assuredness.

* From Pastor Dorman's Good Friday message

No comments: